Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Honoring Gertrude

Last night, my father called to let me know that my paternal grandmother, Gertrude; had been hospitalized and the outcome was unknown... tenuous, no doubt.
Gertrude is 96 years old... born in '12; married in '36; 6 children (one died in '73), 9 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren (just 2 grandkids have come through!). She is a retired school teacher who taught English... devout Roman Catholic and awesome fudge maker, in her prime.
She's outlived several Pope's... her dying wish was to have met Pope J.P. II. She did that; and outlived him... not sure if Benedict XIV is on her list of 'to meets'... she'll meet him, someday!
So... the waiting game continues... Grandpa, I know, will stay by her side... and all of the kids are making their journey to their mother, coming in from Ohio, Illinois, Texas and Louisiana.
My dad's folks are my remaining grandparents... I grieve that they may not meet my kids... that's one wish I had wanted... but then again, I've not sped up the process and they've held on until their 90s... someone is going to have to make a move!
More to come on Gertrude's life...

No comments: