Sunday, February 3, 2008

Eating Out and Eating Healthy in Mid-America

I know... I talk a lot about food. It's become my obsession, as I joined Weight Watchers in 2007; and lost 40 pounds. I've become in fear of it; yet, I still crave it!
So, as you've read... eating out isn't quite as easy as it sounds; and eating healthy is quite the next chore. Most small cafes are equipt with the basic menu: cheeseburgers, fries, gems (tater tots), breaded chicken sandwiches, mexi-burger (Sloppy joes), onion rings and other strange oddities: fried cheese curds, breaded french fries and something local... one is always skeptical.
So, I love it when I do find the stand alone 'house salad.' Usually preparing myself that it's lettuce with a tomato or two on top. Never fear, ask for dressing on the side for your own control.
So, how does one go out to eat with their very high metabolism husband, and stay within the realm of eating well? I think last time that I ate at our local cafe, I ordered the chicken breast sandwich, hold the buns (as they are buttered and toasted); and had a hot veggie side dish. Of course, I had one of my hubby's sour cream fries (which used to be my staple); and I tasted the local water. Not exciting; but supporting the local economy is important!
If you've got tips, or better ideas on how to get around the skinny menu that doesn't keep you skinny, let me know!

No comments: