Friday, February 8, 2008

The War in Iraq

Let me start out by saying that this in no way is going to turn into a political piece. I have quickly separated 'politics' and 'emotional ties' in regards to the military, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan or anywhere else for that matter that the government is shipping our soldiers off to.
A bit of background... my father is a Vietnam Vet, not by choice. I grew up in a household where those months/years of his life were not discussed. We were not allowed to watch anything about the war on t.v.
Flashforward... my sister does the college thing, the post-college jobs and then decides to sign up for the Air Force at the age of 26. Eleven years later, we're finally having to face the idea that she's going to be going across the pond to Baghdad for a year, in personnel support with the Army. What she's actually going to be doing... well, do any of us really know? Or want to know?
She was given the information this week of where she will be doing her pre-deployment training... in Washington State. So, the mental preparation really begins for our family.
She's stopping in to visit this weekend, and I know the visits really are numbered before her departure. We're the only siblings... and she's not married nor has kids; so we won't have to worry about her dependents... just our nice, close-knit family... who really struggles with the needs of the military; and how she feels called to this job. I'm grateful she does... because it's never been a part of my thought process... I'm quite a junkie on picking out my own clothes each day... I'm forever grateful that she and thousands of other men and women are dedicating their lives to our government and the freedom of us and others throughout the world.
More to come on this subject, I'm sure...

No comments: