Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Vacation vs vacation

S sets out tomorrow for a week's vacation in the Fresno, California area with dear friends: E, J, A & M. J and I are classmates from jr. high; and their children are our God-Children. One of those "if anything happens to us, the kids are going to you" arrangements. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have them in our lives; but I do pray every day that E & J aren't taken from them!
Now... S has gone on vaca by himself before... back to North Carolina; but he hasn't taken a vacation to visit my friends, without me. I chose to not go, it was my choice to save my meager vacation time; for our big trip to Sweden in the Fall. But it's kind of a downer, to know he's flying out to see them; and I won't be going along. And believe me, this concept of vacationing alone is perplexing to our church members.
But I, too, will be on vacation. Without S home, I don't have to cook real meals (real implies meat is involved); I can get lots of cleaning done (steam cleaning the carpets is Goal #1), have the bed all to myself and not turn the TV to Headline News... I have full control over the remote! I will escape to my mother's for the weekend, as it is Mother's Day on Sunday; and I have meetings, work and other events to fill part of the calendar...
And it bodes well for us to have a vacation from each other... we usually are apart each summer for several weeks, and this summer isn't filling up with the usual escapes... so, this will be good!

No comments: