Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Safe and Sacred Spaces

I'm not sure what I've said or done about the sacred spaces in Hastings. Hastings is a incredible town that plays host to art, very well; in all media... music, visual, spacial, theater, etc.
Two of my favorite places in town are the beading area of Beads and Botanicals; and Imagiknit's large kitchen table... for gathering, knitting and chatting. I've come to enjoy these spaces as places that I can disappear from the world at... places I can learn and soak in the peacefulness of the created space around me... One is quite different from the other; but nonetheless, depending on the mood... the spaces are there for me to take in and without judgement!
Finding that space is half the battle some days, for people! A dear friend and her daughter joined me last weekend for a crafting whirlwind... our goal was simple: share craft ideas for the holidays and spend time catching up and being each other's sounding board for life's little and big issues! And that's what we did... I introduced them to the bead store; and VOILA... T found her space... her stress lowered, her anxieties melted away and her confidence was restored as she labored into her bracelet, with love and delight.
Some people find their sacred space in a building of worship, park, nature's inventions (beach, mountains, dormant volacanos); but others might not have to look as hard... the quiet of their home, the coffee shop downtown or as I have discovered, the small and unique shops of the sidestreets of Hastings, Nebraska.
Wherever the space is, I pray that you have one, are able to use it to it's fullest and see the face of God in whatever takes you there.
Peace to you and rest to you in your space!

1 comment:

Carla said...

Sacred space. Wow. Definitely one of the finest compliments the shop has received. Thank you. Hope you had a wonderful TG celebration.