Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Projects

That word can bring a smile or a snarl to your face, in my family. It either implies you're on the doing end; or the 'listening' end of the project. Still unclear?
When my mother says, "Ooooh, I have a new project to do." It usually involves wood, fabric or paint. And it can EASILY involve all three. The woman is one of the most creative women I know... she can envision an idea in her head and then manage to not only put it on paper; but execute it RELATIVELY close to the original sketch. Amazing. And her ability to paint small details is much better than my 'stay in the lines' coloring that I can crank out.
So... my crafts have also been given the title of "project." And for most accounts, the title fits. My current projects include knitting, cross-stitching and playing with the Cricut machine that I was given for Christmas from S & S. It's way fun; and not only have I loved working with it to make my scrapbook look 51% professional; it's been a great way to liven up gifts and bare walls. What more fun could you have with contact paper, than writing out your favorite sayings and putting them throughout the house?
Ok... Cricut, what is it, you ask? Pronounced: Cricket www.cricut.com (or grasshopper, if you're my husband who finds it funny) is a die-cut machine which enables you to use various cartridges to cut out hundreds of shapes in sizes up to 24". You can cut fabric, paper, vinyl, chipboard, photos or who knows... possibilites are endless! It's pretty fun and rather easy to operate. It keeps you from buyings a million letter stickers for your scrapbook; or vinyl letters from companies, for home decor.
At Christmas, I used it to decorate glass bricks as well as glass ornaments. Who knows what I will have learned by next year.
So... projects ensue at the house, it keeps us all happy... I stay busy, or atleast always dreaming up something I could do with the new machine, or watching the cross-stitch take shape, stitch by stitch; and the rest of the household just stays out of the way and puts in their 2 cents, when requested.
It's a happy day for all!

No comments: